the idiot who keeps believing in luck


Word of the Day: Cinemapathy

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ugh.

Every once in a while I get really in the mood for watching a movie, thumb through my modest collection of DVDs (from Adaptation to Whole Nine Yards, The), and can find nothing appealing.

Certainly, I tell myself, there is something here worth a couple hours of my time. After all I did buy all of them for a reason (actually, I inherited much of my collection from my parents, but they have an excellent taste in film).

Once again I take complete survey of my movie library, with no luck.

In fact, I can't pinpoint a genre that seems appetizing. Drama, Comedy, Action, Musical, Adventure. Bleh.

I can't even get excited by one of my TV shows on DVD.

And so, in honor of this common plight, today's Word of the Day is

cinemapathy (sĭ-nə-ma'pə-thē) lack of interest or concern regarding the selection of a movie [from French cinéma; and Greek a-, without, and pathos, feeling]

No matter how many films Kevin compulsively purchased, he couldn't avoid the occasional case of cinemapathy.

What do you do when faced with cinemapathy? Is there a fallback movie that never fails you? Was there a time where you, too, faced this hopeless ailment? Please feel free to share all home remedies and war stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment